Tri tako kratke, male reči - quit, quite and quiet, a toliko zabune kod upotrebe i pisanja. Hajde da zauvek otklonimo sve nedoumice i više ne pravimo greške kad su quit, quite and quiet u pitanju.
- QUIT :
Quit je glagol koji znači:
- napustiti ili odustati:
- “Alex quit college during his second year.’
- “Jenny is going to quit teaching and become a full-time writer.”
- “Sam says he’s going to quit smoking.”
- “Quit complaining and get on with the job!”
Quite je prilog sa značenjem prilično, donekle, malo ili mnogo, ali ne sasvim .
Blaži je u značenju od ‘very’ ili ‘extremely’.
- “It’s quite warm outside today.”
- “The house we bought needs quite a bit of work.”
- “The candidate spoke English quite well.”
- “I quite like living in a small town.”
- “Julie made it quite clear that she was against the idea.”
- “After his illness Charlie was never quite the same.”
- QUIET: može biti pridev ili glagol.
Kad ima ulogu prideva, quiet znači tih ili bešuman.
U ulozi glagola ima značenje utišati ili ućutkati.
- “I told the children to be quiet while I was on the phone.”
- “This is a quiet area. There is not much traffic.”
- “Business has been quiet since the beginning of the year.”
- “We preferred to have a quiet wedding with just our two families.
- “Early in the morning the streets are empty and quiet.”
- “The doctor said she’d have a quiet word with my mother.”
My office is QUIET and QUITE comfortable. I’ll miss it when I QUIT.
The food in this restaurant is usually __________ good.
Within a year Hugo had __________ his job and gone back to college.
My dad's growing old. His hair is now __________ thin on top.
The children are very __________. Let's see what they're doing.
You should __________ smoking now before it becomes too difficult.
After a busy day all he wanted was some peace and __________.
It took me __________ a long time to answer all the questions.
He's doing his best so __________ making fun of him!
I'll be as __________ as a mouse when I come home tonight.
Sophie received a reply to her application letter __________ recently.